Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

10.1.06

the real world

hsd_ParkSlope

i'm scared as all get out, but tomorrow i'm going to start posting the d*s apt renovation (well, as much reno as i can do in a rental). i feel like it's so easy to get caught up in a world of design magazines and showhouses that sometimes we forget that the rest of us live in the real world of budgets, rentals and apts with "character" (ie: uneven floors, broken molding and old appliances). so, i thought i'd talk about and blog the redo of my humble abode that i share with ac and our two cats. from top to bottom i'll discuss the renovation of our rental, mistakes and all (and believe me, it's been mostly mistakes so far). i'm even going to let ac post a little, because he's got his own opinions on my choices and "mishaps" so far. so, wednesday will be the day when i open up my doors to d*s readers in hopes that we can all learn a little (and laugh a little) from my adventures in redecorating. so tune in tomorrow for some fun and paint sagas- episode one will most definitely be a lesson in how NOT to choose paint colors. see you wed...xo, d*s

8 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Wow! This sounds like a great segment and I'm excited to see what you do. My husband and I are in a very similar boat (renting and a modest budget). It will be nice to see what you do with a rental and to put concepts and items out of design mags into a real-life actuality.

11:00 AM  
Blogger IMEDAGOZE said...

Aha! this is the fun part! I love decorating...

Good luck and Happy Renovating! can't wait to see the details on d*s.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this. Your described frustrations are why I might not resubscribe to Dwell. What's interesting about unlimited budgets to redesign 2nd or 3rd homes? We need more stories on real people who care about design in their homes, especially rentals.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds great! (well, not the painful part...) but will be fun to see your progress and how it turns out!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im really looking forward to this grace! you're right, the real world can sometimes look a little more, er, "harsh" than all the glossy mags and design showcases...

but i know you have excellent taste so i'm looking forward to how you create your own environment!

:)

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love to invite friends and others over to our house in the country where I have taken it upon myself to do an extreme makeover(husband won't sell!). But the best is to show them the house as is and just email them the after shots!
Am so looking forward to your journey.
Thanks for sharing as I already respect your taste.
Marilyn in Ohio

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking fwd to this, as i fell into the same boat as well :)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Blogging Masterclass said...

I'm excited to see what you do! I've posted a few photos of things I've added to my apartment - we rent an 1870s carriage house and I found the best mid century modern fabric from Laurie Smith at Hancock fabrics - the prints are retro and lots of fun. I've posted photos of some pillows and panels I made, along with what I did with a $6 Thomas O'Brien faux leather frame. Love your blog, Katie. It's so nice to find someone online with a common interest - a complete design addict!

xo
~holly

p.s. I love Brooklyn. I have friends all over there. Plan to attend the Renegade Craft fair in June, do you?


www.decor8.blogspot.com
your space : your life

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.