Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

13.2.06

dna 11

header-ourart

do you think your dna is work of art? well, dna11 does. this ontario based studio creates unique dna portraits through a combination of science and art. the process starts with a simple, non-invasive technique: depositing your saliva into a tube. dna11 then takes your sample to a certified laboratory, where the dna is extracted to create a unique genetic fingerprint. the end result is a group of different sized pieces of dna which dna11 "runs" on a gel and stains with a fluorescent dye and illuminates with UV light. then a special camera captures the image which is then digitally enhanced, cropped and color adjusted. each piece is then printed as a giclee fine art piece on an acid free polyester-cotton canvas, using pigmented inks designed to resist fading. it is then sealed with a non-yellowing protective varnish to further prolong the print life. i think it's a fun idea, but what about you guys? creepy or cool? [thanks to d*s reader, holly for passing along dna11]

dna11

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow..coolest art ever. I want one!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading about it in Cargo. I'd totally do it, but would like to see how they look in person.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Cool. Totally cool.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jaromir Blagr said...

pff, that's not very aesthetic

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you know it's really "you"? Would be interesting to see 3-4 different people all submit a sample from the same person. Would all the art match?

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's worse, if you and your siblings did it for your parents as an anniversary gift and hte results showed that you both have few genes in common. Now that'd be cause for a discussion after their golden anniversary.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit expensive for a printout of what can be downloaded online and manipulated via photoshop etc...

Plus, telling guests that you made the art is a helluva lot cooler than admiting to shelling out $790 for it... just my opinion though

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see why it wouldn't be your own DNA. Getting an image like that is quite easy, I've done DNA fingerprinting myself. So I don't think they would take the risk.

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think it looks cool. But, the idea of providing your DNA sample to a company, even if it is for art's sake, is a little creepy I agree.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a scientist, so I think it's pretty amusing that people would shell out close to $1K for something that I tape into a lab notebook on a regular basis. Granted, it's not *my* DNA and it's not stretched out onto an acid-free polyester cavas.

By the way, I've got a stack of failed Southern blots and crappy polaroids that I'm willing to sell to the highest bidder!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.