Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

11.7.07

sneak peek: matte stephens

i'm so excited for this summer's sneak peeks. so far i've lined up laura normandin, karen gelardi, emily from orange beautiful, jen from motel gallery, andy pratt, the curiosity shoppe gang, leigh at jezebel, paul at branch home, mollie dash, alena hennessy, laura zindel, katie muth, nick butcher, samira gagne, xenia taler and much, much more. but today i'm even more excited to be showcasing the home of one of my favorite artists, matte stephens. i've been following matte's work since i first saw his pieces at velocity. i had an idea of what his birmingham, alabama home would look like but was blown away by these photos- it's vintage heaven. i'll let matte speak for himself so just keep scrolling down to hear descriptions in matte's words. and as always you can click here to see full sized photos. enjoy and thanks to matt and photographer jason hamric for sharing these photos.

[this is our dining room- the large italian movie poster is of an american movie from 1962 called 'the cabinet of caligari'- pretty funny movie. the photo above this one is a sitting area with an old library bookshelf. on and around the shelf is a small birdie do nothing painting by me, an original 1952 herman miller catalog a roost owl from velocity 2 hands i found at the flea market here for 2.00 each. i saw them on your blog a week or two ago and told vivienne because she said they were weird. there is also a 1970s pull bee and a really old japanese bambi vase- and a jeremiah ketner silkscreen print..]

[This photo of our living room includes vintage block prints by children in the 50s along with an lcw, shell rocker, paul mccobb planner group end tables with a milo baughman sofa and a nelson eye clock]

[This photo of our living room shows out stereo, my accordion, a smokey bear poster from 1951, and milo baughman scoop chairs]

[This far away picture of the shelf in the very first photo above shows a lounge base grey armshell and an original sicilia travel poster from 1949.]

[This is my studio: lots of odd stuff in there...]

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Abigail A. Percy said...

Umm...to die for!!

What a great space, not that I am suprised - given his amazing style [of work!]....:)

Thanks for these peaks...

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God oh my God oh my God (faints).

9:40 AM  
Blogger Erin Lang Norris said...

wow! amazing :) of course, i'd expect nothing less from him!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Fiona Cartolina said...

Hey Grace, what a nice surprise this morning, Matte is one of my favourites too. I love the organic whimsy in his art - never a dull moment - I'm happy to have a gorgeous piece by him hanging in my studio right now!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremiah Ketner, if you are reading this you need to re-issue or do that print in another color so I can have one!

11:03 AM  
Blogger sfgirlbybay said...

I love the colors and chic simplicity! Matte's got a show in SF starting today, too, at the Super7 store. There's a link on my blog for details. :)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lovely place, a very livable timewarp, but perhaps pictures should have been taken during the day?

12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. I am totally overwhelmed by the vintage-y goodness.

12:52 PM  
Blogger matte stephens said...

Wow! I never expected so many nice comments.May to answer your question we took them at night because i work mainly at night and i wanted people to see our house like i see it.I thought it might give an little insight to my work.I forgot to mention the little bird looking in the book was an etsy purchase from LaurenAlane her shop is www.LaurenAlane.etsy.com. They are really neat little needle felted birds.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

total bliss here and what a delightful surprise to see that movie poster - it's a running joke in our house. thanks for the fabulous peek!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matte - I want to know, do you have a cat that is the inspiration for your paintings? I have a cat that looks a lot like the orange guy you frequently reference.

1:24 AM  
Blogger matte stephens said...

I do, we have several cats but the one i paint most of the time is Simon.He is a Hemingway cat ( looks like he is wearing boxing gloves) with wobblers.He is missing half an ear and is the sweetest cat on the planet.He spends his day outside in the backyard in a harness on a "run". He loves the outdoors but can't go out unless he has his little harness on because of his health problems, he is also pretty oblivious to danger. He wears sweaters in the winter and has one with an "S" on it.Animals are a huge part of our lives. Its a great thing to be able to live with such sweet creatures.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very sweet and coincidentally we put our cats on harnesses in our backyard as well. They love it!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Jan Halvarson said...

truly a great space! love the dining room!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Reference Library said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love etsy bird prints !!!!!!!!!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah Ketner said...

Matte, What a charming and elegant space you have. If I only had he time, I would decorate my condo some more. I had no Idea you owned one of my prints. Its cool to see it in such a nicely decorated space.

Oh and anonymous, Glad you like the print but its the last of its kind. There will be more on the way.

2:59 PM  
Blogger matte stephens said...

Thanks jeremiah! We love the print!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.