Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

9.8.07

sneak peek: mod green pod

today i'm thrilled to share a sneak peek into the home of nancy mims, the designer behind mod green pod. her home is beautiful so i thought i'd like the photos (and nancy's words) speak for themselves. thanks to nancy for sharing her home with us!

["My depression-era Austin, Texas bungalow is outfitted in an eclectic assortment of mid-century Greatest Hits, found objects, family antiques, junk shop scores and lots of black, white, crimson and fuchsia. My husband and I were attracted to the house because of the airy feeling created by all of the arched passageways between rooms. Here are views from two different sides of one arch, dividing our living room from the library. The Paris Metro sign in the first photo was a miraculous San Francisco junk shop find."]

["The library, covered in Mod Green Pod's Butterfly Jubilee wallpaper, has become our favorite room. We play music in what we all call "The Butterfly Room" and enjoy looking at oddities housed in the built-in bookcases. My daughter has recently begun adding things to the shelves, such as her own phonetically labeled Wunderkammer."]

["The Butterfly Room's next door neighbor features the Sofa of Many Crazy Pillows. The Eames surf board table holds a prized possession: my grandmother's Limoges poppy bowl filled with sharks' teeth that my mom and I found on the beach when I was growing up. "]

["The master bedroom features an antique headboard from my family outfitted with hardware store clamp lamps. I made the quilt about 7 years ago after buying the inspiring fabric at Liberty in London. Both my husband's and my families are from the deep south and we have collected pieces of art during visits to Georgia and Alabama. The angel on the wall is by Mose Tolliver and the onr on the Ikea side table is by Howard Finster."]

["My daughter's room is Ikea City, but nothing beats Ikea for kids' rooms, especially when it comes to storing all their stuff. We made the lamp in the corner by attaching 4 round paper lanterns in a column. The Roman shades are Mod Green Pod's Grand Jubilee in Chocolate. My daughter learned how to embroider at her Montessori school when she was only 4 and last summer, she designed and stitched the piece on a throw pillow. She and I made the bunny and the cat together."]

["Finally, here is our peaceful breakfast nook that looks out onto our garden. I grew up dining at a Saarinen table just like this one (but my parents ditched it at a garage sale in the early 80s!) The Saarinen table inspired my design for our backyard: the yard is grouped into several circular areas for sitting or for plants and round found objects (from my ridiculously large collection of rusty metal things) are scattered in the gravel pathways."]

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

what an awesome house!

8:15 AM  
Blogger jawcey said...

Wow - love this home! love, love, love it! thanks for sharing.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness...this house is gorgeous!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love the wallpaper to pieces. If I was renting, I'd love it in my kitchen.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

i can't remember where i found your blog but i love it. this house is gorgeous and inspiring.

i wonder where the fabric for her sofa pillows came from.....

9:44 AM  
Blogger secretleaves said...

This is the kind of home I love--where the personalities of the people who live there shine through.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Kathie Sever said...

yea nancy! yea mod green pod!!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah! I just love that wallpaper.

10:02 AM  
Blogger heidi said...

DROOLING over the bedroom quilt, & that butterfly wallpaper.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Victoria E said...

I'm a huge fan of her designs and it is such a treat to see her place!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love those gals! Especially how they incorporate the view through the windows with the furniture on the other side. Bravo ladies!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

this is gorgeous! I am ready to move in :)
Thanks so much for sharing.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the daughter's pillow is just fantastic. absolutely beautiful.

2:44 PM  
Blogger RowHouse said...

I was just recently turned on to Mod Green Pod, and I love the fabrics.
http://rowhousecreative.blogspot.com/2007/07/mod-green-pod-organic-cotton-fabrics.html
Thank you for posting these photos of Nancy's house! Beautiful...

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jordan Cappella said...

It looks fantastic great work!

4:33 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

holy moly....i was at lunch with a new friend today (here in Austin) and she was talking about these ladeez....i'm freaking out when i open up my fave blog and there is a sneak peek!!!! yay!!!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Jamieofalltrades said...

I love her couch. All the pillows are so different but they work so well together.

5:00 PM  
Blogger marbargarbo said...

I like the sharks teeth. My dad and I used to do that too. We still have them in a glass-shaped fish at home. :)

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is one of the best homes you've featured yet. so very beautiful and inspiring.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Camilla said...

love the cabinet of curiosities!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

embroidery at 4 years old? here i am at the ripe old age of 25 and can barely sew a button on a shirt...

lovely, lovely house. i'm digging the crazy pillows!

3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swoon! One of my favourite sneak peeks so far. I love how Nancy incorporates so many mid-century pieces without the place being slavishly retro.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

Love Mod Green Pod! Just met with the other co-founder and owner, Lisa Mims, this week. Thanks for the sneak peek into Nancy's home. It's not only beautifully inhabited but eco-conscious as well.

2:33 PM  
Blogger becky from hatch said...

I am so jealous of your Mose painting! It's really hard to find those colors and I love the figure. So far all I've been able to afford of his is a mass-produced cookie tin. And the only Finster I have is from his son Roy.

Your home is so beautiful and shows so much personality!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Duyvken said...

THey've got the dining chairs that we've just bought for ourselves so obviously I think they have great taste. Thanks for the sticky beak!

3:00 AM  
Blogger m said...

Love this one so much. Thank you for sharing it.

I'm about to move into our first (smaller) home of a similar age. I find this one so inspiring, especially seeing how the child's personality is also incorporated. Wonderful.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.