Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

7.9.07

sneak peek: paper pony

i can think of no better way to end this week than with a sneak peek into the beautiful (beautiful) home of photographer raya carlisle. i've been a fan of raya's photography for a while now (her flickr page and blog are fantastic) and i was sure her home would be just as amazing. raya lives in ventura, california and her home oozes cool, california style. it was a treat just to click through all of these so i hope you'll enjoy them as much as i did. as always you can click here for larger versions of these photos and check out descriptions in raya's word's below. thanks to raya for sharing her lovely home with us! [see you all on monday!]

["The waterfall in our pool makes the backyard so peaceful. My favorite thing is to float on a raft with a magazine on a sunny day and listen to the water. This photo above is probably my favorite area in the house- a sitting area in our dining room that is great for morning tea and reading. These chairs were a craigslist buy and at first I thought I'd recover them, but this yellow is now working its way throughout the whole house. I'm finding as I decorate that I'm drawn to bright colors subconsciously - especially yellow and any shade of aqua/blue. The poster on the wall is for a Modest Mouse concert by The Decoder Ring Design Concern. They have a great selection of posters on their website."]

["A corner of our living room. This Ikea book shelf is one I see all over blogland, but it is such a great piece if you don't have much room because it holds so much. Our coffee table top is also from Ikea, but I found some old hairpin legs on craigslist that we used to give it a more mid-century mod look. We really haven't spent much money on furniture with the exception of our dining table - this chair was purchased second hand and our couch is one Forest was given to him during bachelorhood, but my mom recovered both in matching fabric. She's a professional seamstress and has made us so many pillows, cushion covers, etc..we can't thank her enough."]

["The dog painting is my first real art purchase from painter Andrea Heimer in Seattle. Her bright colors and imagery appeal to me - she has a great body of work on her website. This Bertoia diamond chair is the first piece I purchased when we got serious about decorating our house and I had recently discovered my attraction to mid-century modern. Our house is a 1951 beach town cottage so I want to keep the interior in line with the architecture, just mixing in modern pieces here and there. I bought these lockers from my neighbor for $15 - a steal in my mind, but he works for a local school district and just had them sitting in his garage. Forest repainted them and they now store all my craft/art supplies as well as other things. Our garage was converted into a room so we use it as our office/studio/garage. We covered an entire wall with cork and would like to eventually rip up the carpet and do a painted cement floor in a slate blue."]

["I love paint-by-numbers. They are so wonderfully tacky. Our kitchen is really spacious and it's nice to have so much counter space but then I don't know what to do with it! I know, it's a problem most people don't have. Here I've displayed a few of my sugar & creamer sets and baking ingredients in vintage jars."]

["I try to keep the house away from too much girliness, but with the guest bathroom I went a little more that way since we don't use it all the time. I found these portraits of 1960's actresses in cheesy gold frames at an antique store and they were my inspiration. Lots of pink, peach and green. The mirror is very old, found at a thrift store. Our bathrooms are very tiny, so the big mirror brings in more light."]

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Erin Lang Norris said...

wow! what an amazing house.

the yellow sitting area reminded me of the recent blueprint magazine yellow/aqua room- those colors look great together!

everything about this house is really great. i love the flow it seems to have.

very inspirational.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ohhh, I love that back yard, so California, and those chairs are great too, I never would have thought bright yellow, but it looks so sophisticated and casual at the same time.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful house. All neat and tidy. No matter how much I declutter, it gets untidy due to lack of storage space :(

9:54 AM  
Blogger jodi said...

i love seeing raya's photography on flickr, so what a treat to see her featured here on d*s! yay for raya!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that picture hanging above the bookcase looks familiar - I do believe it's one of mine! I love seeing my work in people's homes, and what a beautiful home this is. Just love that pool area!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Craziness
I did the same thing with that Ikea table top!

http://design-milk.com/ikea-hack/

11:47 AM  
Blogger sfgirlbybay said...

Yum - I love it all. The hairpin legs are an excellent idea and the pool area is like a little time warp into my 'valley days' in L.A. - I miss swimming pools in San Francisco.

Now I want some yellow chairs!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Raya Carlisle said...

Grace, thank you so much for such nice words about me and my home - I am so thrilled you like it and wanted to post it. And thanks everyone for your comments! You've all made my weekend : )

1:38 PM  
Blogger Raya Carlisle said...

Karena - yes, that's yours! I love the gun shooting hearts...and I had it framed in a really cool way with it floating over red linen. I also have another print of your I have yet to frame.- I'll have to take a closer photo and send it to you.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any way you'll divulge your green paint color in the bathroom? I've been trying to select a green, and this would be perfect!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Raya Carlisle said...

Hi Anonymous, I'd be happy to share my paint color. It's by Sherwin Williams and its called "Acanthus" number 0029. We have it in the kitchen and both bathrooms and after two years I still I'm still happy with it.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful house. Great design work!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raya, your house is beautiful. love the yellows as well, and the orange and burgundy and dark green which are all color that are mixed & matched in my apt.

after all if we lucky enough to live in los angeles and dont use bright colors.. who should then use 'em?
EM

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful home! Would you mind sharing the paint color of the sitting room? I love it!

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful house. Great design work!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how we'd love to have a waterfall in our backyard. If only we had a backyard!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely home. Lovely photos. I have the same outdoor chairs (though mine are all rusty). Do you know anything about them? I'm planning on cleaning mine up and am having a hard time finding new rubber feet for the ones like yours near the fire pit. Thank you for sharing.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Alishia said...

yaya, raya! i want to come visit! however i have baggae, ehem. perhaps someday i'll make it to that cool swap meet with you.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pictures and the decorator are fantastic. I love the contrast between the bright colorful accents the more neutral colors chosen for the walls and large pieces. Each room looks so cheery and inviting. Great work!

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perfect perfect perfect
love the home. especially that living room!

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her blog reminds me of Alicia Bock's style of blog. She's also a photographer. Love their style.

Check out http://www.bloom-grow-love.blogspot.com/

Snoopy

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raya, your house looks wicked awesome! your style is super stellar! and your waterfall is TDF! (to die for)

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.