Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz
 

21.8.07

bloggers' guide to online shopping: part two

today is the second and final installment of the bloggers' guide to online shopping. thanks again to all the bloggers who shared their favorite links with us! [part one and two of the shopping guide are now archived in the guides section above]

Irene at Bloesem:

Meg Mateo Ilasco at Designer's Library:

Jean at NotCot:

Jena at Modish:

  • Textiles: I'm really in love with Poppycotton- all the goods are handcrafted from vintage fabrics
  • Papergoods: I'd have to say Etsy- their selection of papergoods is never ending!
  • Gifts: I've honestly been getting all my gifts lately from my own shoppe!
  • Ceramics: Peek Keep
  • Garden: Uncommon Goods
  • Vintage Finds: Thrifty Goodness
  • Artwork: Etsy
  • Hidden Gem Online: I drool almost daily over the jewelry collection over at Day Lab- both new and vintage, there's some fun stuff!

Anna at Absolutely Beautiful Things:

Lena Corwin:

Courtney at Style Court:

  • Textiles: Lewis & Sheron (For budget-friendly David Hicks-ish geometrics, or nice durable linens/cottons in great punchy colors. Typical prices range from $11.50 to $40 per yard with many fabrics costing less than $20 per yard), The Silk Trading Co. (For a compromise between high-end, trade-only fabrics and the mass outlets. Especially their nubby silks (perfect for giving a flea market chair a KWID inspired makeover) as well as their hand-woven, hand-dyed linen/cotton stripes. I just think their colors are some of the prettiest around. Although, to me, the web site doesn't do justice to the colors, but swatches are free. Typical prices range from about $20 to $60 per yard)
  • Vintage Finds: Pieces (Pieces isn't inexpensive, but it is one of the few vintage furniture boutiques that shows a large amount of inventory online, with prices. New finds are constantly added too. The owner has custom pillows made-up in fabrics from Kelly Wearstler, Lulu DK and other high-end fabric houses), Wisteria (For unexpected but not too trendy tables and side chairs, great vases and accessories), Paris Hotel Boutique ( For vintage books and unusual finds), Turquoise L.A.
  • Papergoods: Broadway Paper and Elum
  • Hidden Gems Online: Jayson Home and Garden (Great customer service and really chic, usually attainable vases etc.), Carolyne Roehm (Most people might think Carolyne Roehm is for their mom but check-out the little chocolate and chartreuse ceramic vases, and the striped ribbon. Nice surprises) and Basic French Online for kids gifts

Julie at Another Shade of Grey

Anh-Minh:

  • Furniture: eBay (where one of my favorite sellers is “mod-popism”), for new stuff, I shop at Retromodern
  • Lighting: When trying to find light fixtures that work well with my 1950s house, I like Rejuvenation
  • Textiles: Superbuzzy!
  • Papergoods: For decorative and gift purposes, I like Kate’s Paperie. For crafting purposes, I get the basics (that I can use to Gocco or embellish in other ways) from Impress Rubber Stamps
  • Wallpaper: I’m a big fan of Graham & Brown. At ICFF this year, I noticed that Umbra is releasing a line of wallpaper this fall through Graham & Brown. I can’t wait!
  • Gifts: At the top of my list is Rare Device and I’m so excited that Rena’s opening a shop in SF soon.
  • Ceramics: Peek Keep carries some great, harder-to-find designers
  • Garden: Hands down, Sprout Home
  • Vintage Finds: Surfing Cowboys is awesome, but often a bit out of my price range
  • Artwork: For prints, it’s a tie between Tiny Showcase and Art Star. For affordable and original artwork, it’s another tie – this time, between The Beholder and The Wurst Gallery
  • Hidden Gem Online: Cut+Paste is a great one-stop shop for handmade goods

Grace (me) at Design*Sponge:

Maxwell at Apartment Therapy

Karen at Clothespin:

Susan at Art Esprit:

  • Furniture: Eboniste: I love love love these pieces
  • Textiles: Repro Depot has always delivered the goods I need for most of my projects - but Pippa Caley is on my wish list -for at least a cushion!
  • Papergoods: for raw goods I am seriously addicted to Art Paper and Paper Source. I like Art Star's collection of stationery most of the time
  • Lighting: Hidden Art Shop- love it!
  • Wallpaper: Naked and Angry and Palace Papers' Casey Gunschel's work is so beautiful. The all stops out piece i like very best is the frenchdot from namarococo- it has to be the best wallpaper ever.
  • Gifts: Utrecht art or Dick Blick (I like to encourage creativity in children). Hidden Art Shop is great for everyone else
  • Ceramics: My husband and partner tell me that I have gone a bit overboard with our ceramics selection at the gallery, (but I love it all so much).... so obviously i choose our shop for ceramics
  • Vintage Finds: Abodeon- they keep promising their website. if you are anywhere near boston, it's worth the trip
  • Artwork: Amy Rice, Edibeth Farrington and my friend erik boettcher's work (we have this from time to time at the gallery) is something really special
  • Hideen Gem online: Home Anthology- beautiful furniture finds

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Style Court said...

This is so helpful Grace! What a brilliant idea. Especially heading into the holiday shopping months :)

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace,
Love this guide and will refer to it often. Suggestion: This may be too much work, but is there any way to categorize all the picks from all the different bloggers, ie: gift sites, art sites, etc., so that we could look by category? Just a thought!
Thanks!

8:30 AM  
Blogger trisha said...

i've been in link heaven the past two days. . .and still clicking away ;) thanks so much for another wonderful guide!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Habitually Chic said...

Oh no! Now I have more websites to check out! But it is a fun reference guide!

How about a city by city to real stores in addition to the online ones. I can already think of a bunch of suggestions!

8:48 AM  
Blogger design*sponge said...

anon

already working on it ;)

i had grand plans to have it searchable by blogger and category this weekend and then i caught ac's flu so i decided to start with this.

glad you like it so far!

d*s

8:52 AM  
Blogger Naomi said...

WOW, I'm may get fired...

This is really
great, THX!
Naomi

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of the links are getting me a blogger error page...is it just me? Any idea why?

9:26 AM  
Blogger design*sponge said...

orit

just let me know which links and i'll check them out/fix them asap.

d*s

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only wish I had time to browse them all! but for now...Z Gallerie, Luxe Paperie, Global Table, and Jenny Jozwiak in the Clothespin section.
Thanks!

9:49 AM  
Blogger design*sponge said...

thanks orit!

all fixed :)

d*s

9:56 AM  
Blogger kstyle said...

Great idea to do this and what a wonderful resource for all of us. I know I will use it a lot.k

12:22 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Oh no!!!! you forgot Design Milk!

I guess there's always room for part 3! ; )

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the heck is Design Milk?

3:08 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

http://design-milk.com

another bloggirl

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see that Etsy is a frequent choice. I am amazed at the variety of work there.

6:48 PM  
Blogger HMK said...

Great post. Some of the links are whack: Motel Gallery and Maximo Design...
And I agree, Design Milk should really be included - Part 3?

peace,

H. Michael Karshis

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful!!! sooo helpful. I wonder if you could make it a permanent fixture on your site so we can easily refer to it in the future without scrolling through days and days of pages? thank you for doing this - while sick too!

10:36 AM  
Blogger design*sponge said...

anon

like i mentioned above- they're both already archived in the guides section :)

http://design-sponge.net/guides.html

d*s

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace,

This is amazing resource! Thank you so much for all the work you put into making it happen!!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic guide. Thanks to all those who recommend shopping for art on Etsy!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about decor8?

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. Please do more of these in the future!
Sheila

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.